Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Cooking Project

This summer we are doing something we have never really done in earnest before. To keep the kids busy and hopefully maintain some of their academic skills I have issued a challenge to my 11 yr old son (aka the boy) and my 9 yr old daughter (aka the girl). The challenge is this to use all available resources to them either cook books, family recipes, or the internet and plan, shop for, cook, and serve their meal.  They have to copy by hand down the recipe, go to the store with me to buy the ingredients, and prepare the meal with either their dad or me helping.  The goal of this project is three fold, one they will get a better understanding of what it takes to make a meal, two they will keep up their writing and math skills, and three maybe they will stop complaining every time I cook something that they do not like. Each kid is responsible for one meal a week, the meals have to be on separate days, and something they really want to try out. We shall see if this turns out to be a good thing or something we never want to do again. I will try to blog the recipes and a picture of how it turned out for each meal they do. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment